Thursday, March 28, 2013

DIY Shell Frame

My favorite kind of DIY Projects are the quick an easy kind. These are the kind of projects that require very few materials and no prep work. They are completed in less than an hour and does not require much clean up.

My project today is one of these types of projects. In less than an hour I took a boring white Ikea frame and helped it become something beautiful: a Shell Frame.

First, I gathered my materials:
The Frame
Sea Shells
Hot Glue Gun
Paper Towels.

I laid out the paper towel and spread out the sea shells. I laid them out on the paper towel because I have a dog that sheds like crazy and I didn't want dog hair on my frame. I also laid out the frame and had my hot glue gun heating up. Most of the shells that I had were from a package bought at Hobby Lobby. A few, however, were shells that I had picked up on our different cruises. I had already cleaned them by letting them soak in a 50-50 solution of bleach and water, so they were ready to go.

While my hot glue gun was heating up, I laid out a layer of similarly shaped shells to form a base layer. Then I glued them into place one at a time. After I had the base layer, I worked on filling in the gaps using one shell at a time. There is no science to this process. I just played with the shells until I was happy with the look of the frame. I picked a couple of larger shells that I had to create some focal points.




When I was happy with my frame, I cleaned off the strings left behind by the glue gun. (I hate those!) I put the white place keeping paper back in for now until I pick a picture to go in my new shell frame. Now I just need to find a home for it in our beach themed guest bedroom.
                       What do you think of my shell frame?

Have an inspired day!

Kelsey Noll

No comments:

Post a Comment